Saturday, October 28, 2006

Where I try to be really objective

Once upon a time, I had aspirations to work in political campaign management. I worked for Sen. Sam Nunn in Atlanta and for the Democratic National Committee in preparation for the 1988 Convention in Atlanta (you remember, the Dukakis year).

So when a campaign of the magnitude of the current gubernatorial election in Massachusetts plays out under my nose, I find myself trying hard to view it objectively - to see what strategists are advising their candidates these days. As I get older, objectivity is harder to come by - too much is at stake, in my mind, to sit back and watch the game playing.

But this year is different. It's different because the Healy campaign is being so poorly run, that I cannot help to watch with both my objective eye and my subjective eye. My subjective eye says, "hooray! My guy will win!". My objective eye cringes - have they really just let her hang out there like that? Why hasn't Mitt Romney done ANYTHING to help her? Only 3 days ago did he officially come out and endorse her for governor. THREE DAYS AGO!

Where is the Republican machine? Where is the Governator? Where is Bush? Cheney? Anyone? Have they really just written off Massachusetts? (Hooray again, comes from my subjective side!) Is she really that bad? (Yes, from my subjective side) or are there just bigger fish to fry elsewhere?

Whatever the reason, I feel a little embarrassed for her. The RNC tossed her the playbook from the middle of last century and told her to play on her own. Maybe, just maybe, this is what's happening all over the country.

Hey, a girl can hope.

No comments: